Op-Ed: Most Climate Change Policy Is Pure FollyBy Jim Hollingsworth • October 17, 2022
The other day I saw an article in which our local utility, Avista Utilities, expects to be climate neutral by the year 2045. That means no production of carbon dioxide. I talked to the man making the statement and he informed me that the Public Utilities Commission of Washington State was now requiring that all utilities be carbon neutral by 2045. I did not consider that another state could control what we do as a state. Could a later administration change this policy?
This is pure folly, and I hope that Idaho never accepts this position. Anyone who is not sure needs to get a copy of my short book on climate, Climate Change: A Convenient Truth, now in the second edition.
Looking ahead these so-called green energy policies are pure folly. Here are a few things to consider.
1. No one has ever demonstrated that carbon dioxide controls climate. The minute amount of carbon dioxide in the atmosphere is used to grow every plant on earth.
2. Elimination of fossil fuels is totally unrealistic. Fossil fuels made America energy independent and prosperous. Democrats seem to have no understanding of fossil fuels. Beside gasoline, diesel, and kerosene, there are over 6,000 things made from fossil fuels. These are things we would have to live without if we eliminate fossil fuels. This includes things like: tires, pavement, paint and paint thinner, carpeting, vinyl fencing, vinyl siding, plastic wrap, multitudes of things made of plastic, toothbrushes, computers, electric wire insulation etc.
3. Most commercial fertilizer is made from natural gas (methane). This is the most energy powerful product with more hydrogen than any other substance. If methane is not used for fertilizer, food production will decrease greatly and many people could simply starve.
4. Wind and solar are not practical. There are times in which the wind does not blow and the sun does not shine. Right now during those times natural gas and coal make up the difference. These must be kept running on standby, and use almost as much energy as when they are fully loaded. These devices are mainly made in China, not in countries friendly to the United States. Much of what is required are rare earths, which are very rare, and some of them are even mined by children. You can store energy for times when the sun does not shine or the wind blow, but that could be several days and building batteries that large would be nearly impossible. You can use solar/wind energy to pump water to an elevated reservoir, but much energy is lost in pumping. Right now about 2% of our energy production is wind and solar. What will our beautiful landscape look like if we ever get to 100%?
5. California (along with New York, Washington and other blue states) has decreed that no new fuel fired vehicles will be sold by 2035. Electric vehicles seem nice since they do not pollute. However, much carbon dioxide is produced when these cars are made and they are anything but climate neutral. California has already said not to charge your electric cars during certain hours as there is not enough electricity from the grid. What will Californians do when they spend day after day in a cold, dark house? Will they learn to do without and be happy? Or will they wake up and elect climate savvy statesmen?
6. If you want to see where we are headed as a nation look at most of Europe, especially Germany, where the cost of electricity has gone out of sight. Germany has closed most of the very efficient nuclear power plants. Will they wake up before it is too late?
7. Some places have decreed that no new homes may be built which use natural gas. Natural gas is simply the most efficient energy source for our homes, as well as for electrical generation. Back about 1950 electric utilities advertised that electric kitchens were best. After natural gas became available in most places few people wanted electric kitchens. Natural gas cooks much faster than electric. Electric water heaters soon fill up with lime and short out the lower element. Natural gas is much more practical.
8. America was energy independent under the Trump Administration. The policies of the present administration make no sense to anyone. These include re-joining the Paris Climate Accord, stopping work on the Keystone XL Pipeline, stopping drilling on public lands, stopping exploration in ANWR (Alaska National Wildlife Refuge). Now we are begging our enemies to produce more energy, which makes no sense to anyone.
9. The result of all these policy initiatives means less domestic energy, and a clear road to government tyranny. Is that what we want? It is not too late to reverse these trends, but we are rapidly running out of time. Changing the energy climate begins with electing energy supporting candidates on November 8.
This Op-Ed was submitted by Jim Hollingsworth. Op-Eds do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of those at the Idaho Dispatch.
Tags: California, Climate Change, Climate Science, Electric Power, Keystone Pipeline, Natural Gas, Solar Power, Washington, Wind power
12 thoughts on “Op-Ed: Most Climate Change Policy Is Pure Folly”
Love it.. Finally, some common sense. Thank you!
Thanks for the Op-Ed Jim Hollingsworth.
Common sense instead of political money gathering/squandering must prevail.
For all interested in theory on how the earth’s climate actually works, please visit, “PlateClimotology.com”. There both a video and written content that are very informative.
Spot on regarding Avista’s policies and the truth about so-called “carbon neutral.” BTW, Avista is a big contributor to Mr. Little’s campaign. Consider that when you go to the polls on Nov. 8.
True story. I was on a plane sitting next to a wind turbine repair mechanic. He had just been out to a large windfarm and so I asked him for some details about them. He admitted they were a complete joke. Most were manufactured in France for moderate climates where the temperature doesn’t change more than 30 F during the year. What most people don’t understand is metallurgy: metals don’t expand and contract at the same rate. Very cold and very hot temps mean that the mechanisms in the wind turbines don’t operate efficiently. He told me that most of the turbines he works on are only operating about 25% of the time. I ran the numbers and for a quarter-million $ turbine, you’re never going to recoup its cost!
There’s nothing wrong with investing in the technology. But we need to be realistic and not employ massive wind farms when they don’t have a net payback.
Too bad that a great number of people believe the hogwash that the globalists elites are perpetrating on the people. They will never see the light and fall lockstep in with the propaganda.
Behold the truth has just been spoken by someone who is an expert, not a bartender, part time “economist with a damaged brain……..
The push to “renewable or Green energy” is a cruel joke on ignorant people. Claims that wind, solar, and [electrical vehicles] have reached cost parity with traditional energy sources or modes of transportation are not based on evidence. Even before the latest period of rising energy prices, Germany and Britain—both further down the grid transition path than the U.S.— have seen average electricity rates rise 60%–110% over the past two decades. The same pattern is visible in Australia and Canada. It’s also apparent in U.S. states and regions where mandates have resulted in grids with a higher share of wind/solar energy.
The geological archive reveals that Earth’s climate has varied as long as the planet has existed, with natural cold and warm phases. The Little Ice Age ended as recently as 1850. Therefore, it is no surprise that we now are experiencing a period of warming.
Did everyone forget when the windmills went online that our power went up by 9cents per kilowatt her in Idaho and we don’t even use any of the power nor do we need it. Makes you wonder what the total cost actually is.
I WONDER IF THESE BRAINLESS CARBON NEUTRAL BOZO’S KNOW THAT, PLANTS THRIVE ON CARBON DIOXIDE AND IN TURN GIVE US OXYGEN. WHEN THE PLANTS ALL DIE, FOLLOWED BY THE ANIMALS THAT EAT THEM, GOOD LUCK FINDING FOOD TO EAT.
A wonderful way to laundry money for the greedy globalist elitest. Mafia in Italy love the wind turbines. A climate industry without limits on how much money that can be made from the government and taxpayers. The globalist elitest propaganda and an excellent way of taking money for the gullible lower, middle case.
All the climate change lies are falling apart, and that’s a good thing! Here’s a story that made my day, too: https://www.cbsnews.com/news/plastic-recycling-failed-concept-us-greenpeace-study-5-percent-recycled-production-up/
We came to earth for several reasons…one to partner with our Creator, Who designed and controls our climate; Who created male and female humans and other species, then commands them to procreate after their own kind (where does it say to murder our babies?); we are to be stewards of our nation, families, and neighbors (honoring and respecting the highest moral character possible and to teach others to do the same); learn and practice THE GOLDEN RULE, TEN COMMANDMENTS, AND OTHER MORAL VALUES; in other words to be civilized and respectful of others and their properties…We are supposed to be the best and brightest of His creations, not the least!
God blessed America and her hardworking honest citizens with “enough and to spare” and inspired our founding fathers to put together a profound U.S. Constitution to guide our civilization and law-making-and-enforcement practices with the intent to make us progress, achieve, and become successful and happy as families and as a nation.